Friday 13 January 2012

A favourite dish







So I just a have little more to say about this fabulous ceramic bowl, which although pictured in my previous blog, was not given the attention it deserves.
It is truly sensational, designed and made by uber-glam American ceramics company Waylande Gregory Studios.
The company’s namesake was a much-celebrated ceramicist, at the vanguard of mid 20th century high-gloss glamour. Working from the 30s to the 70s, Waylande Gregory exhibited in the Whitney and the Smithsonian, found his way into the most sophisticated of private collections, and to an extent defined the direction of contemporary art-ceramics of the western world.
This unique giraffe pattern is one of his signature designs, re-issued by his great nephew, and I absolutely love it - it’s hand made, hand decorated and highlighted in 22 carat gold leaf.
It’s very me.
And very Becker Minty.
Its diameter of 46 cm makes it perfect for the centre of a round table – one of my favourite looks. But considering its impact and the fact that it’s shallow, I’d be very tempted to pop it on a wall, a decorating choice some consider to be up there with flying ducks, but one of which I’m especially fond.
And at least it stops me filling it with food.
But why would I want to? It already has everything I could possibly need – animal motif and a shiny surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment